Monday, May 9, 2011

Fierce, Fit, Fearless

I have found a new friend to stalk. Jenn Diamond of Fitness Safari. She started a facebook group for ladies that follow Intermittent Fasting and it's been a wonderful source of motivation.

To whit we have started an 8 week Spring Challenge.

My goals for this challenge are:

1) Get into the 150's
2) Weight train 2x per week
3) Kill my sugar addiction.

My method of madness for this challenge is the Rapid Fat Loss plan by Lyle McDonald. Love his stuff. Historically I've had excellent success with this plan but I don't tend to come off it very well and typically dive into a carb coma for 3 weeks while negating all my efforts. Suffice to say that I have been having some personal revelations and I am determined to not let that happen this time.

It annoys the crap out of me that I will let what I want most, to be fit, to be over ruled in a moment by simple gluttony. It is unnecessary. We can still love and appreciate food without having to eat so much that we are stuffed beyond idiocy. I should be able to drink a glass of wine without finishing off 2/3rds of a bottle.

Just like smoking, it is an addiction that has to stop. I quit that because it was unhealthy, why can I not seem to apply the same thoughts to my eating habits? This time I will. I would so dearly love to pick up a cigarette again sometimes, when I smoked I rarely ate dessert, I switched smokes for a coffee and sugar addiction which are as unhealthy when you look at the side affects of obesity.

So I hereby lift my water bottle in a toast to the first 8 weeks of the rest of my life :)

Thanks Jenn :)

2 comments:

  1. Victoria - stay with the group and we'll all work together to keep each other honest; we'll help one another when we feel weak and we'll celebrate each other's victories! Keep it up. Health, like knowledge, is a life-long pursuit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear it. I'm in that "gone off" phase at the moment. Eating too much, eating the wrong things and not drinking enough water.

    Yet... I'm getting into my Group Power class with barbells. Even though I can't even get a barbell on my shoulders. Go figure! Being reduced to a pounded jello does, however, seem to ramp my appetite unduly. I'm going to have to figure that out.

    The good news is that summer is coming and fresh and tastier produce from the farmer's market goes with that. I'll get the eating back on track. And, the other day I practically charged up the library steps, not even using the rail.

    So in spite of the fact that I can barely bend my right knee enough to do squats or lunges, even my pitiful efforts are improving my strength. (Though what the class instructor thinks of me wildly windmilling my arms in order to balance in a semi-lunge position, I couldn't say.) I get through the class and that's good enough for me at the moment.

    Cheers for moderation and no more gluttony! I'm drinking a water toast to that!

    ReplyDelete