Saturday, March 10, 2012

On cloth bums and sore boobs

On breast feeding:
I was always adamant about breastfeeding Ethan, and so far it has been going pretty good. He was a strong feeder from the start and whilst it has been exhausting at times, he is still feeding every 2 hours at night currently, I am glad to have persevered. 


We have had our issues, we are fighting a bout of oral thrush in him that has potentially passed to me and after some blocked milk ducts this week I am now on antibiotics to fight that little issue. It has made feeding a teeth gritting experience but hopefully should all clear up soon now I have the right meds for both of us. Only downside is my pumping and milk storage goals for returning to work are up in the air until I finish the course as I don't want to be storing antibiotic laced milk. We had gotten a pretty good start going too... 


I did read that one side affect of the thrush was 'excessive gassiness'. The only real issue he has had so far is the trapped wind and oh wow, he could fart for England. I have to say when he isn't looking to be in pain over it we are high fiveing the lad for some incredible toots. Not only does one have to wonder how such a tiny body holds so much wind but how such tiny butt cheeks can make so much noise. It has led to much amusement on our part. Thankfully they are not stinky otherwise we might not be laughing so hard. I am a big believer in gripe water at this point, not only does he actually get excited to see the dropper but it seems to work a treat and calms him down very quickly when he is squirming around. 


I have breastfed in public a few times now, thanks to my Step mum for her encouragement there back in the first few day's and feel pretty comfortable about it. So far not had any negative experiences either I am very glad to say. 


On cloth nappies:
I was also pretty adamant about giving cloth nappies a good try and whilst we got off to a rocky start on that one I think I have got it down now. There are so many advantages to cloth that I had to give it a go, from earlier potty training, better protection when learning to walk and the sub sequential falling down to added protection to their hips. Not to mention the financial savings, eco-friendliness and they just look so much comfier to wear. :) And dare I say cute?


I did try old fashioned terry cloths but disliked them pretty quickly, I am now building a pretty nice collection of terry and bamboo shaped nappies and they are honestly just as easy as the disposables. The washing is no big deal, I chuck the dirty's into a mesh bag in a bucket and then just throw the bag into the machine every other day. No more soaking and boiling like it was back in my Mum's day. 


Little lamb fluff on the left and with his frog and duck wrap on on the right. Awww.






Developmental news:
I weighed him yesterday and he has put 3lbs on since he was born. He'll be 8 weeks old on Monday. Go son :)

He's started giving us those wonderful big smiles that melt your heart and most recently has started cooing back to us.  Will upload some video of the latter that we caught last night once Koby transfers it off his phone. 



Here's a couple more for the insatiable amoung you. 


1 day old:

One of my favourite pics, 6 weeks old and playing bobblehead.




No comments:

Post a Comment